i think Jesus would rather reign in a wild stallion than kick a dead horse any day.
-lysa terkeurst

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

good life choices

every time i talk to my dear friend and former roommate, shelby graham salley, she reminds me to "make good life choices." she says it with such enthusiasm and hopeful expectation. tonight i called to tell her a silly story, and at the end of our two-minute conversation, as predicted, she said: "make good choices!" i have a problem with this for two reasons: 1. nobody else makes good life choices, and 2. it's easier to make bad choices.

i appreciate shelby's accountability - don't get me wrong. i'm thankful for it, and, let's be real, i need it. but GEEZ is it hard for me to do and say things that don't come naturally to me. i was reading in colossians 3 earlier, when paul writes that weshould "put on love." "put on" implies that it's something apart from me that has to be chosen and applied to my heart - like clothes to a body. i would much rather choose impatience, pride, unkind words, and selfish attitudes. it's far easier to put on these things, like baggy sweatpants, rather than fight what's convenient. meekness, humility, grace, patience - those things are like skinny jeans: uncomfortable and unnatural - but boooyyyyy do they look good on!

my prayer is that the power of christ would flood my heart so that i would be able to put on love every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment