i think Jesus would rather reign in a wild stallion than kick a dead horse any day.
-lysa terkeurst

Saturday, April 9, 2011

thou, o, lord

despite my commitment - i never know how to spell this; commitment? committment? - to reformed theology, i grew up a southern baptist southern belle with a love of hymns and church choirs. at first baptist in camden, where i grew up, met christ, was baptized, and was on staff, we have an amazing choir. seriously. they are incredible - especially when they sing "o, holy night" at christmas. anyway. my favorite song that they have ever presented is called "thou, o, lord." i don't have a clip of the fbc choir singing it, but here's the brooklyn tabernacle choir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y284YvkYrZo

the song comes from psalm 3:

lord, how they have increased who trouble me!
many are they who rise up against me.
many are they who say of me,
'there is no help fo him in god'
but you, o lord, are a shield for me,
my glory and the lifter of my head.
i cried to the lord with my voice,
and he heard from his holy hill.
i lay down and slept;
i awoke, for the lord sustined me.
i will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
who have set themselves against me all around.
arise, o lord;
save me, o my god!
for you have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
you have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
savlation belonds to the lord.
your blessing is upon your people.

"but you, o lord, are a shield for me, my glory and the lifter of my head." i cannot hear or read these words without being moved to tears. that the infinite, almighty creator of the universe would look upon me and my mess with love and desire to be my shield and glory and to lift my head up from shame and defeat and sustain me and protect me - incredible.

1 comment: