i think Jesus would rather reign in a wild stallion than kick a dead horse any day.
-lysa terkeurst

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

why

i was reading in colossians earlier tonight, when i read these verses from chapter three (verses 22-24):

"[do everything] with sincerity of heart and reverence for the lord. whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the lord as a reward. it is the lord jesus you are serving."

this passage reminds me of a few truths:

1. it's a command for me to do everything i do - from taking out the trash to cleaning up after my kids eat lunch to leading my small group - with passion and intentionality and joy and "with all my heart."

2. my motives need to be filtered through the cross. i should ask myself, "why am i doing/saying this?" before i act and speak. there are two possible answers: to build up myself or to build up another and further the kingdom. i need to ask christ to make my heart sincere. i don't want to parade around with false sincerity. i want a pure and clean heart.

3. no matter what i'm doing, my purpose is to point others to christ. i am serving christ always and in everything. people are not my masters. people cannot pass judgement. people cannot offer me a reward. christ is my master. christ is my judge. and christ is my reward.

how's your heart looking? do you, like me, need to repent of some impure motives and an unclean, self-seeking heart? thank goodness the lord is good and faithful to forgive us and give us a new heart over and over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment