i think Jesus would rather reign in a wild stallion than kick a dead horse any day.
-lysa terkeurst

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

psalm 71

i'm reading through psalms (rather leisurely, i might add). i started in january, i think, and i try to read one every day, though obviously since i started on january 1st and it's now april 28, and i'm only on psalm 71, i'm a tad bit behind.

anyway.

a few verses really stuck out to me, and i'm going to share them with you:

"be my strong refuge, to which i may resort continually." (v 3)

i've got to rely on jesus, on his love and grace and strength, with every breath i breathe. it's not enough for me to get up in the morning and ask the lord to help me. there's got to be a constant recognition of the truth that he is the sovereign, holy, and good god, and i need him.

"for you are my hope, o lord god, you are my trust from my youth; by you i have been upheld from birth; you are he who took me out of my mother's womb; my praise shall be continually of you." (v5, 6)

this verse is such affirmation of god's faithfulness; that's true of my life: he has protected me and provided for me and blessed me and shown me mercy every day of my life. why would i ever question his faithfulness or his goodness when my life proves that he is who his word says he is??

"let my mouth be filled with your praise and with your glory all the day." (v 8)

i need to make this my prayer every time i go to open my mouth. james talks about what a sinful thing the mouth can be, and i think most people would say that something they struggle with regularly has something to do with their mouth: inappropriate language, gossip, criticism, negativity, complaining, etc. every time i go to speak, i want this verse to come into my head. i want jesus to change my heart so much that his love and his praise and his glory are literally pouring out of my heart and my mouth and my life.

"my mouth shall tell of your righteousness and salvation all the day - for i do not know their limits." (v 15)

how true that is! the beauty of god's goodness and grace and mercy and love is that i will NEVER know their limits - there is no limit! praise the lord!

just a few simple truths for you to meditate on with me today. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment